- 2004: M. A. Memorial University of Newfoundland–Folklore (Marketing and Commodification)
- 1995: B. S. University of Houston – Interdisciplinary Studies
2011-Present: President, Wired Flare Inc.
Wired Flare is an award-winning online marketing agency based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and the first organization of its kind to become a certified B Corporation in Canada. At Wired Flare we tell stories that ignite inspiring and meaningful conversations online and ultimately generate big impact both for the greater good and on the bottom line. We provide online communication services for local and international organizations. Services include but are not limited to: inbound marketing, content creation (articles, blogs, videos, infographics, memes, press releases), creative social design, social media management, SEO, keyword optimization, social advertising, online communication model design, internet usage policies, live and virtual speaking and training, and targeted marketing campaign development. As the president and CEO, I lead and manage the team, heading up the social strategy and storytelling aspects, as well as business development. I also speak internationally on related subjects.
2014-2015: Instructor, Mount Saint Vincent University
I taught three courses as part of the Masters of Education in technology program. Courses included Connected Classroom, Integration of Technology and Curriculum Design. As an instructor of these three courses, I facilitated student learning surrounding the use of online communication tools and technology in the classroom. I helped create a platform through which today’s teachers can become experts at the art of 21st century teaching.
2011-2012: Instructor, Maritime Business College
I taught two courses for MBC students: Web Design and Internet Marketing. I instructed students in the Small Business program about the basics of using WordPress to develop websites, as well as the basic concepts surrounding site function, communication and effectiveness. Every student created a working website as part of the course. I also instructed students in the fundamentals of online marketing, including social media, SEO, press release marketing and article marketing. Students created social media platforms and wrote content to be used in online marketing campaigns.
2007-2011: Online Marketing Consultant
I conducted personal, small group and large group coaching to instruct business owners in strategies and thought processes that lead to business success. This coaching included teaching the principles of inbound/attraction marketing and effective marketing techniques such as: brand messaging, SEO (search engine optimization); social media; video marketing; content marketing such as blogging, article writing and press release marketing; keyword optimization; website design; PPC (pay per click) advertising; contact management through CRM and workflow automation; direct marketing via electronic, telephone and personal communications; and copywriting.
2007-2010: Marketing and Distribution, Shaklee Canada
I employed a wide range of offline and online marketing techniques in order to promote the distribution of natural, non-toxic household and health/wellness products. Marketing activities included: direct marketing, inbound and outbound initiatives, social media marketing, content marketing, field marketing, online advertising, print advertising, networking, tradeshows, group presentations and more.
2001: Graduate Teaching Assistant and Lecturer, MUN, St. John’s, NL
2000-2002: Archival Assistant, MUN Folklore and Language Archive
In conjunction with the Graduate Program in Teaching, I assisted in the instruction of “Folklore and the Supernatural” by developing and instructing classes, creating and grading exams, grading student essays, corresponding with students, and tracking student attendance and grades. As an archival assistant I researched and organized archived materials in the following ways: transcribed and organized hand-written documents, transcribed and organized taped recordings, researched collections for requested materials, and organized collections for online perusal.
TEACHING EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
- 2006: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification
- 2006-2007: Grades 7/8 ELA, Center Hill Middle/High, Olive Branch, MS
- 2003-2006: Curriculum Coordinator, Gr. 4-8 ELA/SS, Oxford University School,
- Oxford, MS
- 2002-2003: Supervisor and Grades 5/6 ELA, Crenshaw Elementary, Crenshaw, MS
- 1997-2000: Team Leader and Grade 8 ELA, Garcia Middle School, Sugar Land, TX
- 1995-1997: First Grade, John Durkee Elementary School, Houston, TX
I instructed students in reading, writing, language, and research skills by implementing an integrated approach to language instruction that involved: shared inquiry, literature circles, timed writing, peer editing and ratiocination, journal writing, writing walls, writing round tables, introduction to documented essay and research formats and processes, daily oral language activities, interdisciplinary units, creation of literary and historical simulation units, individual and group research projects, use of technology, self and peer evaluation, and portfolios. As curriculum coordinator I implemented a Pre-AP program, formulated seventh and eighth grade curriculums, coordinated schedules for K-8 classes, developed and implemented a plan of action to reach national accreditation, coordinated standardized testing, developed and implemented a teacher evaluation tool, facilitated scope and sequence development, developed a curriculum book describing each grade level and subject, K-12, and created grade level websites.
SAMPLES OF PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
strategic planning, market research, storytelling, creative, social media communication and management, content marketing, inbound marketing, PR, content creation, data analysis, analytics, product management, copywriting, search engine optimization, pay per click advertising, social advertising, attraction marketing, lead generation, blogging, press releases, video marketing, keyword optimization, basic web design, mobile technologies, application processes, field marketing, marketing automation, CRM
SELECT PRESENTATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
- “Leveraging Social Media for Business Growth,” Sunnyside Mall, Advantage Wireless, Pop-A-Lock Canada, Bark Busters Canada, 2015
- “LinkedIn for Professional Growth,” Centre for Women in Business, Halifax Chamber ofCommerce, 2011, 2013, 2015
- “Web Essentials for Success,” Centre for Women in Business Blueprint Series, 2010-15
- “Social Media in Leadership: Be the Change,” GoverNEXT, 2014
- “Leveraging the Power of Social Media for Television and Film,” WIFT Atlantic, 2013
- “LinkedIn for Executive Growth,” Dalhousie University, 2013
- “Online Essentials for Franchise Success,” Small Business Week, McInnes Cooper, 2013
- “How to Protect Yourself on Social Media,” Speak Up Conference Nova Scotia, 2013
- “How to Use Social Media for Good,” Speak Up Conference Nova Scotia, 2013
- “Online Marketing for Business Growth,” New Life Business Solutions, 2012, 2013
- “Social Media and You: Developing Your Online Brand,” Halifax Mentoring Series, 2013
- “Engaging for Safety on Social Media,” Safety Services Nova Scotia, 2013
- “Social Media for Business Growth,” Local Connections Halifax, Home Stagers Atlantic, 2011-2012
- “SEO for Business Growth,” Greater Burnside Business Association, 2012
- “Social Media for PR Professionals,” Canadian Public Relations Society, 2011
- “LinkedIn for Lawyers,” Cox and Palmer, 2011
- “The Art and Technique of Facebook Marketing: Using Facebook to Grow Your Business,”
- Centre for Women in Business, 2011
- “Introduction to Online Marketing,” RBC Women in Business Series, Business Breakfast
- Club, Bconnected, Moms the Word, 2010-2011
- “Managing Your Franchise Social Media.” The Franchise Voice. Vol. 16. No. 3. Summer 2015.
- “Get in the Game: Productive Ways to Involve Your Audience on Social Media.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 22, No. 2. Apr. 2015.
- “5 Reasons Your Audience Isn’t Sharing Your Social Media Content and How to Change That.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 22, No. 1. Feb. 2015.
- “How to Engage Your Audience on Social Media.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 21, No. 8. Dec. 2014.
- “Understanding the True ROI of Social Media.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 21, No. 7. Nov. 2014.
- “Building Partnerships Online.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 21, No. 6. Oct. 2014.
- “Five Common Social Media Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 21. No. 5. Sept. 2014.
- “How to Leverage LinkedIn Groups for Business Growth.” Progress Magazine. Vol. 21. No. 4. Aug. 2014.
- “Understanding the ROI of Social Media.” FranchiseGrade.com. 24 May 2014 <http://www.franchisegrade.com/index.php/2014/05/24/understanding-the-roi-of-social-media-marketing/>.
- “Why Your Franchise Needs a System-Wide Social Media Strategy.” BeTheBoss.ca. April 2014. <http://www.betheboss.ca/IndustryExperts-april-2014/Why-Your-Franchise-Needs-Social-Media-Strategy319.cfm>.
- “Planning a Franchisee’s Approach to Social Media.” FranchiseGrade.com. 15 April 2014. <http://www.franchisegrade.com/index.php/2014/04/15/planning-a-franchisees-approach-to- -media/>.
- “Should a Franchisor Support a Franchisee’s Local Social Media Efforts.” FranchiseGrade.com. 8 March 2014. <http://www.franchisegrade.com/index.php/2014/03/08/franchisor-support-franchisee/>.
- “Franchises Are Missing Out on the Benefits of Social Media.” BeTheBoss.ca. February 2014. <http://www.betheboss.ca/IndustryExperts-february-2014/Franchises-Are-Missing-
- Out-on-the-Benefits-of-Social-Media275.cfm>. “How Social Media Could Shape Your Decision to Purchase a Franchise.” FranchiseGrade.com. 6 February 2014. <http://www.franchisegrade.com/index.php/2014/02/06/social-media-and-franchising/>.
- “Consider Local Search Results When Buying a Franchise.” FranchiseGrade.com. 5 January 2014. < http://www.franchisegrade.com/index.php/2014/01/05/consider-local-search- results-when-purchasing-a-franchise/>.
- “Merry Marketing: The Holidays and Social Media.” BeTheBoss.ca. December 2013. <http://www.betheboss.ca/IndustryExperts-december-2013/Merry-Marketing-The-
- Holidays-and-Social-Media245.cfm>. “Paying Homage to the King: Exploring the Art of Franchise Social Content Marketing.” Franchise Voice: Fall 2013.
- “The Significance of Implementing an Effective Internet Marketing Model.” Franchise Voice: Summer 2013.
- “Social Care in 2013.” Mingle: January and February 2013.
- “Your Community Online.” Local Connections Halifax, vols. 1, 2, 3 (2012).
- “Tap into Your Niche Online.” Mingle: October and November 2012.
- “The New Interest in Pinterest.” Ideas for the Home: September-October 2012.
- “Following Your Dreams…Online.” Mingle: August and September, 2012.
- “To Scan or Not to Scan.” Ideas for the Home Magazine: July-August 2012.
- “Greening Through Technology.” Mingle: June and July, 2012.
- “Plugging in for Financial Success.” Mingle: April and May, 2012.
- “Playing Nice in the Social Media Sandbox.” Mingle: February and March 2012.
- “Lord, Help Me…I’m an Entrepreneur.” Integrity Magazine: vols. 1, 2, 3 (2012).
- “Exploring the Cost of Social Media.” Mingle: August and September 2011.
- “Putting Yourself on the Map.” Mingle: June and July 2011.
- “Social Media Protocols.” Mingle: April and May 2011.
- Lord, Help Me . . . I’m Single. Mustang: Tate, 2005.
- The Honey Island Swamp Monster: Development and Maintenance of a Folk and
- Commodified Belief Tradition. Masters Thesis. Memorial University of Newfoundland, 2004.
- “On the Meaning of Folklore and Its Significance in Finding Employment: A Reflection on the 2001 FSAC Student Roundtable.” Culture and Tradition 22 (2001).
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Finalist, Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, Atlantic Region, 2015
- Awarded B Corporation Certification, 2015
- Fastest Growing Companies in Atlantic Canada, #3, 2014
- Certified WBE (Women’s Business Enterprise), 2012-2016
- Finalist, New Business of the Year, Halifax Business Awards, 2013
- RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur of the Year Nominee, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Progress Women of Excellence Nominee, 2013
- Worldwide Who’s Who, 2012
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2007
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2006
- Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 2003
RECENT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Volunteer, Umoja Journey, 2015
- Volunteer, Unicorn Theatre, 2014-2015
- Mentor, King’s College, 2014-2015
- Volunteer, Breast Cancer Action Nova Scotia – social media campaign, 2012-2014
- Organizer, Wired Mic – Charity Fundraiser for FEED Nova Scotia, 2012-2014
- Treasurer, Quinpool Mainstreet Road Association, 2013